History of Video Games is not just another arcade, it’s an immersive video game experience for everyone – families, groups of friends, and solo gamers alike. Become Player 1, the hero and protagonist, and embark on an unforgettable adventure in the world of video games.
Our vast collection of over 300 video games includes classic retro arcade games such as Space Invaders, Time Crisis, Crazy Taxi, and Street Fighter 2, as well as the entire history of video game consoles and much more.
So, whether you want to relive your childhood memories, introduce your kids to the classics, or simply enjoy some quality gaming time with friends, History of Video Games is the place to be. Join us and let the games begin!
We’re excited to announce that History of Video Games is now open as a permanent space, featuring Season 3 and LOTS OF NEW GAMES for returning guests!
With our new format, one ticket gets you access to three unique events, and ALL DAY PLAY! Make the most of your visit by arriving early.
- History of Video Games with over 300 games
- Access to the Replay Social Gaming Space with unlimited time to play board games, table-top games, and collectible card games
- Entry to our Generation games exhibition and our chill-out cafe space
All this for just £14.50 for adults and £12.50 for under 14s, or get 4 tickets for any person for £45. And remember, tickets are for play all day!
Don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity to experience the world of video games like never before. Visit us today and let the fun begin!
Regular Opening Hours:
|Thursday||12pm until 6pm|
|Friday||12pm until 6pm|
|Saturday||11am until 6pm|
|Sunday||11am until 6pm|
Note: Last admission is at 5pm for all regular opening hours.
Special Late Night Saturdays:
|24th March||11am until 10pm|
|29th April||11am until 10pm|
|27th May||11am until 10pm|
|24th June||11am until 10pm|
Please note that we are closed on Monday to Wednesday except for school holidays and Christmas.
Easter Holidays (Bristol School Term Times)
Join us daily throughout the Easter break, from Thursday 30th March 2023 until Sunday 16th April 2023, for a delightful experience.
Our opening hours are from 11am to 6pm on weekends and 12pm to 6pm on weekdays.
Summer half term
We welcome you daily during the summer holidays, from 20th July to 3rd September 2023. Our opening hours are from 12pm to 6pm on weekdays and 11am to 6pm on weekends.
Come and have a memorable time with us!
Looking to host a private event? History of Video Games offers private hire for your special occasion. Our venue is available for private hire on weekdays, weekday evenings and weekend evenings.
To make a booking, please contact us via email at [email protected]. We would be happy to assist you in creating a memorable experience for you and your guests.
A hidden 1980s arcade has been discovered inside the Galleries Shopping Centre in Bristol, and can be accessed through a mysterious time-traveling purple portal! Want to know more?
Step inside the portal and you’ll find a massive selection of 1980s retro video game arcades, featuring classics like Space Invaders, PacMan, Donkey Kong, and Street Fighter 2. We also have an ever-growing collection of 90s arcades and rare Japanese imports, with new games being added every week. Best of all, all the arcades are set to FREE PLAY, so you can play to your heart’s content without worrying about coins.
In addition to the arcade games, we also have the entire history of video game consoles collection, with a curated selection of games and an immersive exhibition that tells the story of video game history and gaming culture. Check our social media pages for the full game lists, upcoming special gaming events with Esports and Guest speakers, and to see what featured games we have this week.
And that’s not all! We’ve teamed up with Replay Social Gaming Lounge, located right next to History of Video Games and Generation Games Exhibition, to offer you access to all three events for one price. Replay Social Gaming Lounge has over 100 board games, puzzles, and card games to choose from, as well as several free-to-play pinball machines, with more coming soon. Take a break from video gaming and challenge your family or friends to a different kind of game. The first hour is free as part of your ticket, with subsequent hours charged at just £1 per person, per hour. Check out @replayloungebristol on Instagram for more information.
Don’t forget to check out Generation Games Exhibition, where you’ll find the entire history of UK video game consoles in one place for the first time, along with playable game stations, loads of video game trivia, and much, much more. This is a collection of retro gaming history not to be missed!
And if you’re looking to book a party for a special occasion, we’ve got you covered. Please email [email protected] for more information.
Come join the adventure and step into our time-traveling portal today!
This weeks sessions
- For guests booking a ticket and wanting to enter after 6pm please note that the centre itself is closed, however, we have permission to enter the Galleries Shopping Centre via the entrance called Greyhound Walk. It is situated on Broadmead along from Boots opposite The Arcade, Shopping Centre, about 1 minute from the Tesco Metro. Customers can use the intercom at the Greyhound Walk entrance to gain entry, however if they need further assistance they can call 0117 9290569. Customers will also exit here on close and can walk around to the car park which takes 5 minutes.
- Sessions are advanced booking only, all tickets to be booked online – opening times may vary – please see available tickets for times and dates.
- Tickets purchased can be transferred to any session during the season. All you need to do is bring your old ticket along to the new session, and we will honour it. Management also have the right to do this on behalf of the customer in the event of issues caused by the current pandemic – please check socials before attending to see the current status and guidelines.
- Tickets are not refundable, but are transferable, Tickets booked in error can be transferred to another date, and guests having to isolate, can also transfer tickets to an alternative date and time – no re-booking required, just bring along your existing ticket.
- Arcade machines and all games are free upon entry, no coins required, everything set to free-play.
- Children under the age of 5 have free admission.
- Children under the age of 11 must be accompanied by a full paying adult.
- Free entry to companions or carers of paying disabled visitors.
- Fully wheelchair accessible.
- Restroom and baby-change facilities are located within the shopping centre.
- You may leave and return as many times as you wish within your allocated session (e.g. to visit the food court).
- For the Board Game Cafe, there is a per person charge to stay and play the games, to cover the cost of staffing and cleaning. The pinball machines in this area are free to play.
- Board Game Cafe is free to sit in and consume drinks and snacks purchased from us, you do not need to play a game – but it’s encouraged.
For your comfort, our capacity is 200, but we have reduced this to just 65 players per session, and we will only accept advanced bookings, no cash sales on the door – our venue is also kept clean and tidy, with hand sanitiser and cleaning schedules in place for your peace of mind, and we follow or protocols and government guidelines, please check the UK Government Covid response website to see what these are at the time of visit, as they will vary. Tickets may be exchanged for a later date if we are forced to close due to Covid, and the management have the right to cancel the event as per covid19 UK protocols as outlined by UK Gov. For information on the day of the event, please check the History of Video Games website or social media for all updates – our policy is Game Safe!